What is a Conditional Use Permit?
The zoning code of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regulates the type of uses that are allowed to take place on your property. Some uses are permitted by right - e.g. a detached house in a residential zoning district. Some uses are prohibited - e.g. a retail sales establishment in a residential district. Other uses are permitted with a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) in certain zoning districts because of the impacts the use may have on adjacent properties.

A CUP is granted to a property owner by the approval of the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) or the County Board. The Conditional Use Permit process requires the ZBA to conduct a public hearing as part of the approval process. Learn more information about the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA).

Show All Answers

1. What is a Conditional Use Permit?
2. How do I apply for a Conditional Use Permit?
3. How much will my Conditional Use Permit cost?