Is there money to help cover medical expenses as a result of violent crime committed against me?
If you are an uninsured violent crime victim who was hospitalized first check with the hospital to apply under the Illinois Hospital Uninsured Patient Discount Act. (IHUPDA) This requires hospitals to give discounted care to eligible uninsured Illinois residents. Victims of violent crime may also apply to the Attorney General’s Crime Victim’s Compensation Program. Applications can be retrieved on the Illinois Attorney General website or calling 1-800-228-3368 (TTY: 1-877-398-1130).

In other cases, all documentation of bills should be forwarded to the investigating police department and also copies should be mailed or faxed to the prosecutor or victim coordinator assigned to your case as soon as possible. If the defendant pleas or is sentenced he/she could be ordered to pay restitution as part of the sentence. Restitution will also be ordered in criminal court cases where ever practical and possible. Unfortunately it is not always realistic in criminal cases for restitution to be ordered or paid, such as in severe injury involving several thousands of dollars, or when violent offenders are sentenced to prison for a long time such as in murder.
Illinois Attorney General website

Show All Answers

1. What type of services and information can I get through Victim Witness Assistance Unit?
2. If I am the victim in a criminal case, do I need to hire an attorney?
3. Can I drop charges against the defendant/offender?
4. Are defendants required to attend all court dates?
5. Are crime victim(s) or witnesses required to go to all court dates?
6. Can victims attend court dates?
7. How do I find out the next court date?
8. Will a Victim Witness Assistance Coordinator be assigned to every case?
9. How can an offender plea not guilty if he/she made a statement to the police or there are witnesses to the crime?
10. Who decides if the defendant pleas guilty or request a trial?
11. Will I have to testify in court?
12. What do I do if I receive a subpoena to testify?
13. What should I do if the defense attorney or investigator contacts me?
14. How long will I be in court?
15. Can a friend or relative be in court when I testify?
16. Will the defendant be in the courtroom when I testify?
17. What time does court start?
18. Where do I park when I come to the court house or Lake County State’s Attorney Office?
19. Does the victim of crime have input on the criminal case?
20. What is a victim impact statement?
21. Who can present a victim impact statement (VIS) in court?
22. When should a violent crime victim prepare or write a victim impact statement (VIS)?
23. When does the victim present the victim impact statement (VIS) in court?
24. How many victim impact statements can be presented in court?
25. Is a violent crime victim required to complete a victim impact statement (VIS)?
26. Can I write and present a victim impact statement for a non-violent crime in court?
27. Is there money to help cover medical expenses as a result of violent crime committed against me?
28. Is there money to help violent crime victims and families of homicide with medical, counseling, and burial expenses?
29. What is the Attorney General’s Crime Victim Compensation Program and who is eligible?
30. Is counseling available to violent crime victims?