Spring is the time for daffodils, warmer weather, and sales people at your front door. Solicitors seeking door-to-door purchases or orders are required to comply with a County Board adopted ordinance when working in unincorporated Lake County.
Each solicitor must:
- Appear in person and register annually with our office. Registration is free.
- Work only between the hours of 11 am and 7 pm.
- Carry his/her own Certificate of Registration bearing the sales person’s name, employer’s name, manufacturer’s name, type of business, and an embossed seal.
- Observe “No Solicitation” signs.
- Respect occupant’s request if asked to leave.
Residents should ask to see the vendor’s certificate and report any violations to the Lake County Sheriff’s office (847.549.5200) where fines and penalties can be enforced.
This ordinance applies only to unincorporated Lake County and provides exemptions for religious groups, candidates, and minors under the age of eighteen who participate in fundraising activities. If you live within municipal or village borders, check with your local officials for your specific ordinances.