Sheriff John D. Idleburg is pleased to announce the Lake County Sheriff’s Office will be adding two new canines to the sheriff’s canine unit.
The sheriff’s office is in the final process of selecting the newest canines, which will be male German Shepherd’s between the ages of 18 and 24 months.
Lake County Sheriff’s Canines Axel, Boomer, Danno, Dax, Duke, Echo, Ryker, Tera(byte), and their handlers have a proven track record of success for the Lake County community. Combined, they locate missing people, fleeing suspects, numerous discarded firearms or other evidence, hundreds of pounds of illegal drugs, sniff for explosives, and search for illegal digital evidence.
In keeping with the tradition, the Lake County Sheriff’s Office is again asking for our youth’s help in naming our two newest colleagues. Lake County youth currently enrolled in kindergarten through senior year of high school are invited to participate.
The rules of the naming process are as follows:
• Public, private, and homeschooled students are invited to participate
• Children must have the permission of their teacher/school and/or parent/guardian
• Children must be sponsored by their teacher or parent/guardian
• Children must be currently enrolled (or homeschooled) in grades K-12
• One entry per student is allowed, per dog (two entries total)
• All of the information on the form is required for vote to be counted
• The winning name will be selected by the Lake County Sheriff’s Office
o Students who selected the winning name will be invited to participate in the new canine’s swearing-in ceremony
• Name submissions are due by 12:00 p.m., September 9, 2022
Sheriff John D. Idleburg said, “Our canines are an incredibly valuable asset to everyone who lives or works in Lake County. Our goal is to have at least one of our canines on duty 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to assist our sheriff’s deputies and municipal partners. I am very excited to again ask our youth to participate in the naming of our two newest canines and I look forward to seeing their selections.”
Link for participating in the naming: https://bit.ly/3pvaTvK