The Lake County Sheriff’s Office will be participating in a traffic safety campaign during Super Bowl weekend. If your Super Bowl celebration involves alcohol or cannabis, don’t forget: “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” and “Click It or Ticket.”
“As with any social gathering which involves alcohol or cannabis, it is important to plan ahead for a safe ride home,” said Sheriff John Idleburg. “Don’t put yourself or others at risk by making the poor choice to drive under the influence.”
If you’re ready for some Super Bowl fun, make a game plan for a safe and enjoyable time:
• Designate a sober driver or plan to use public transportation or a ride service to get home safely.
• Walking impaired can also be dangerous. If you plan to walk, designate a sober friend to walk you home.
• If you see an impaired driver on the road, pull over and contact law enforcement.
• Have a friend who is about to drive impaired? Take the keys away and arrange to get your friend home safely.
• Hosting a party? Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages, and make sure all your guests have a sober ride home.
• Always buckle up! It’s your best defense in case of a crash.
The Illinois “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” and “Click It or Ticket” programs are administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation with federal highway safety funds managed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.