Housing & Community Development Commission
We envision Lake County as a place, unified by diversity, where residents of all income levels have the opportunity to live, work and thrive by building successful partnerships with local governments, service providers, developers and fellow residents.
The Commission is responsible for overseeing local administration of the Federal Community Development Block Grant Program (CDBG), HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) and the Emergency Solutions Grant Program (ESG) and other related programs. The Commission is responsible for developing the Consolidated Housing and Community Development Plan by identifying community needs, setting priorities and establishing goals. The Commission uses these goals to help determine which activities to fund on an annual basis.
Regularly scheduled meetings of the Housing and Community Development Commission (HCDC) are held at 3:30 p.m. on the Wednesday following the Lake County Board Meeting.
Executive Committee Meetings
The Executive Committee has the following responsibilities:
- Review recommendations from Advisory and Recommendation Committees to ensure compliance with regulations and consistency with available funding and make recommendations to the full Commission.
- Hear and render judgment on formal appeals of any decisions made by the staff or Commission in regard to its programs or policies.
- Assign Commissioners to an Advisory and Recommendation Committee.
- Assist in the development of plans for informational and/or educational presentations to the full Commission.
Regularly scheduled meetings of the Housing and Community Development Executive Committee are held at 2:30 p.m. on the Wednesday following the Lake County Board Meeting.
Advisory and Recommendation Committees
Each Advisory and Recommendation Committee (ARC) has the following responsibilities:
- Review applications or requests for funding.
- Make recommendations of projects to be funded to the Executive Committee.
- Provide feedback to Community Development staff on scoring and ranking decisions in order for appropriate technical assistance to be provided to applicants.
Meetings are scheduled as needed and are divided into four committees:
- Homeless Assistance
- Public Improvements
- Public Services
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Housing and Community Development Commission consists of seventeen appointed members and two ex-officio members. The appointed members are made up of five Lake County Board representatives, seven Lake County residents and five mayors, village presidents or township supervisors. These members are nominated by the Lake County Board Chair and approved by the Lake County Board. The ex-officio members are the Lake County Board Chair and the Lake County Board Health and Community Services Committee Chair.
Public Hearing Information
Public Hearings are held in conjunction with regular monthly meetings, with public notices appearing in the News Sun and the Daily Herald (Spanish Version) and sent to a list of interested parties. All interested parties are invited and urged to attend this Public Hearing. All comments and questions will be considered. Persons in need of special arrangements (translator, specific disabilities, etc.) should contact staff at least three (3) days prior to the meeting date.
Written comments may be directed to:
Lake County Community Development
500 W Winchester Rd, Unit 101
Libertyville, IL 60048