Tax Sale Information
2020 Tax Sale Dates
Pursuant to Public Act 101-635, the earliest a county can hold a tax sale for 2019 taxes is the first day of the month after the public health emergency has been lifted. Tentatively, the Lake County tax sale is scheduled for February 16, 2021, subject to the public health emergency. Location TBD.
Persons interested in participating in this year’s sale:
- We strongly advise you to read the Illinois Statutes pertaining to the tax sale (35ILCS200).
- Complete the Application for Delinquent Property Tax Sale (PDF), Tax Sale Age Memo and W-9 Form (PDF).
- To print the 2020 Tax Sale Information packet, click here.
- All registered tax buyers and their appointed representatives at the tax sale must be 18 years of age or older at the time of registration.
- If you attend the entire sale, but are unable to purchase any taxes, your deposit will be refunded.
- An additional $100 fee will be charged to the buyers interested in obtaining a delinquent tax list. Upon completing the application and making the payment, Joseph E. Meyer & Associates will contact you via e-mail for the requested format of the list.
- Important: The tax sale list that is provided to you should be used for the sole purpose of the delinquent tax sale. Use of this information for any other purpose is strictly prohibited. The County Treasurer has the authority to deny the sale of this list to anyone who violates this rule.
- All first time buyers are required to provide a certified check in the amount that they plan to purchase at this tax sale. This check must be separate from the $100 fee for those interested in obtaining a copy of the tax sale list. These checks must be provided at the time of registration. If the registrant attends the sale, and attempts, but fails to purchase taxes totaling the amount of the check, the balance will be returned to that buyer.