About the Program
The Senior Citizen Tax Deferral is a program that allows qualified senior citizens to defer part or all of the property taxes on their personal residence.
- This is a state loan with a 6% simple interest rate.
- Repayment upon death or sale of home.
- A lien will be placed on your property.
- The program may be utilized for multiple years, if you meet the qualifications.
- Must file a new application each new tax year.
- You may apply for other senior tax programs even though you are on the deferral program.
- Those that have a current mortgage, 2nd mortgage or reverse mortgage must check with their lending institution to see if you qualify.
- Your completed application must be notarized and returned by March 1.
Lake County Treasurer
18 N County Street Room 102
Waukegan, IL 60085
Requirements of Eligibility
- Applicant must be 65 years old as of June 1st of the tax year claimed.
- Total household income $65,000 or less.
- The state LOAN qualifies senior citizens up to $7,500 yearly to pay property taxes.
- Proof of income and homeowners insurance.
- Property cannot be income producing, such as rental income.
- Must be your primary residence only.
- Property taxes must be current at the time of application.
- The cumulative value cannot exceed 80% of any loans or liens on the property.
- Taxes may be paid at any time without affecting the deferral status.
For More Information
(320 ILCS 30/) Senior Citizens Real Estate Tax Deferral Act
Please contact the Lake County Treasurer’s Office at 847-377-2323 or e-mail [email protected] for a Tax Deferral Application or if you have any questions.