American Rescue Plan Act
On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) was signed into law to provide federal funding to local governments for response and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding is in addition to the $121.5 million in Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act funds that Lake County allocated in 2020 to support our residents, communities, taxing districts, businesses, and countywide services in direct response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ARPA will provide $135.2 million in direct local recovery assistance to Lake County Government. The funding that Lake County received will support projects and programs to improve lives, solve problems, and make our County more resilient to future challenges.
The Lake County Board is committed to both addressing immediate pandemic response needs and pursuing long-term equity-informed initiatives. Lake County’s focus is to maximize strategic investments that will benefit residents for years to come by funding improved outcomes rather than short-term fixes. Learn more by viewing Lake County's annual recovery plans:
From July 7 - Aug. 11, 2022, Lake County collected resident input on community needs as we consider how to best utilize a portion of our American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds. Lake County held two in-person events and one virtual webinar to go along with an online survey that had more than 1,600 responses. We thank everyone that took the time to provide input! Lake County is currently in the process of the analyzing survey results and the comments received. Results from the input will be posted on this web page in the coming weeks.
Counties have broad discretion over how to spend ARPA resources, but there are constraints set by the US Treasury that Lake County must follow. Lake County has established task forces across five categories that align with the US Treasury’s compliance guidance
Below is a summary of the task forces with a sampling of programs and projects that are being funded:
- Software and technologies that support vaccine distribution, testing, contact tracing.
- Establishment of a COVID Call Center to support Lake County’s residents.
- Funding for behavioral healthcare, to include mental health support services.
Community & Household Assistance
- Funding food distribution programs for the homeless and those in need.
- Creating and preserving affordable housing in different areas throughout Lake County.
- Construction of a permanent shelter for individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Staffing the administration of Lake County’s Emergency Rental Assistance Program.
- Providing shelter for people experiencing homelessness.
Economic & Business Investment
- Initiatives to support Lake County’s hospitality businesses and promote tourism.
- Programs that incentivize hospitality organizations to host large events in Lake County to support greater economic activity.
Infrastructure & Facility Investment
- Funds for construction of a new 911 / Emergency Operations Center in Lake County
- Investments in Lake County’s wastewater treatment plants to update and improve treatment capabilities
- Drinking water quality improvements throughout Lake County
County Services Investment
- Purchase and storage of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for distribution and use across all of Lake County.
- Equipment and technologies to further improve voting by mail, and in-person.
- Programs that support a reduction in violent crimes and prevent gun violence
Strategic Plan Driven Recommendations
Lake County will utilize a number of community-driven and other organization-based strategic plans to serve as road maps to guide decisions for the future. The following are examples of plans that influence how Lake County prioritizes and invests resources:
- Lake County Strategic Plan
- Housing and Community Development Consolidated Plan
- Community Health Improvement Plan
- Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (Ongoing)
The Lake County Board established a Special Committee on COVID-19 Pandemic Recovery and Investments. This committee is actively working to assess and prioritize potential projects and programs under the Lake County Forward initiative. Lake County continues to appropriate ARPA funds to meet immediate response needs, such as continuing food distribution and housing programs needed in response to COVID-19.
Watch Special Committee on COVID-19 Pandemic Recovery and Investments
|June 3, 2022||Agenda||Video|
|April 29, 2022||Agenda||Video|
|March 25, 2022||Agenda||Video|
|February 23, 2022||Agenda||Video|
|February 10, 2022||Agenda||Video|
|December 10, 2021||Agenda||Video|
|November 19, 2021||Agenda||Video|
|November 5, 2021||Agenda||Video|
|October 15, 2021||Agenda||Video|