Civil Union Records
Vital Records Office Hours
In response to COVID-19, the Lake County Clerk’s office is open for walk-in customer service weekdays from 9 AM to 4:30 PM
Need to request a record?
You don't need to visit our office. You can order:
Who May Request a Civil Union Record?A civil union record may be requested by:
- those named in the record,
- child of person named in the record,
- a family member, or
- another individual acting as an agent or legal representative of the person named in the record.
Types of Civil Union Records
- Certified Record
Acceptable for legal name change on driver’s license, passport, bank account, etc.
$10 for first certified copy
$4 for each additional copy
- No Record Found Certification
If the record is not found to be on file within our office, a Certificate of No Record Found is available for purchase.
$1.50 for certification
Ways to Order
- Walk-in same-day service
- Downtown Waukegan, Illinois (Map to our office)
- No appointment needed
- Valid identification is required (acceptable ID is listed on form)
- Processing time is normally less than 30 minutes
- Payment by cash, check, money order, or credit / debit card
(Additional service fees apply to credit / debit card payments)
- For faster service bring completed Civil Union Record Request Form (fillable PDF), printed, and signed
- By mail with check or money order payment
Record is requested by and mailed to customer through the U.S. Postal Service’s first-class mail
- Two business days for processing, once request is received by our office
- Record can be sent to a street address or P.O. box. Items needed:
- Completed Civil Union Record Request Form (fillable PDF), printed, and signed
- Photocopy of valid identification (acceptable ID is listed on form)
- Check or money order payable to the Lake County Clerk
- Self-addressed envelope with sufficient first-class U.S. postage stamp affixed
- Mail all items to:
Lake County Clerk
Vital Records Department
18 N. County Street, Room 101
Waukegan, IL 60085
- Online with credit card payment
VitalChek Network, Inc. is an independent company and our selected partner providing vital record ordering services when payment is made by credit card, expedited delivery is required, or order is placed by fax or email. Additional service fees will be applied.
Due to the cost and the inability to re-purpose the state-mandated security paper used to issue vital records, once an order for certificate copies is processed, our office cannot offer any refunds.