Monday to Friday
Walk-in customer service
9 AM to Noon
Staff will be available to answer questions and provide information from 8:30 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday by calling 847-377-2400 or emailing VitalRecords@lakecountyil.gov.
Lake County Clerk's Service Modification in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
8:30 AM to 6:30 PM
Vital Records Office Hours
In response to COVID-19, the Lake County Clerk’s office is open for walk-in customer service weekdays from 9 AM to Noon.
Need to request a record?
You don't need to visit our office. You can order:
- Through the mail if paying with a check or money order
- Online with credit card payment
Extra charges will be applied by third party vendor
Staff will be available to answer questions and provide information from 8:30 AM to 5 PM Monday through Friday. You can call 847-377-2400 or email VitalRecords@lakecountyil.gov.
Who Can Request a Death Record?
Death records are not public records and are only available to those who have a personal or property interest with the decedent. If you are not a relative of the deceased person, you must provide proof of your relationship to the deceased.
If you are requesting a death certificate as the duly authorized agent or legal representative, you must submit a written document naming you as one of the following:
- A licensed attorney acting on behalf of a decedent or his/her estate;
- An agent authorized by power of attorney;
- A court-appointed personal representative, executor/administrator, or
- An agent with expressed, notarized authorization.
If you are requesting a death certificate as someone claiming a legal, personal, or property interest, you must submit a written document demonstrating that you have a personal or property interest at stake, such as a will naming you, a letter on a firm’s letterhead, or a file-stamped copy of a complaint at law.
Exceptions to these restrictions apply to those interested in Genealogical Research.
Types of Death Records
Acceptable for official purposes, i.e., Social Security, pension, insurance, property transactions, etc.
- Certified Record
$14 for first certified copy
$8 for each additional copy
- Non-certified Record
Used in researching family history and is available only if the record is at least 20 years old.
$4 for each non-certified record marked “For Genealogical Purposes Only”
- No Record Found Certification
If the record is not found to be on file within our office, a Certificate of No Record Found is available for purchase.
$1.50 for certification
Ways to Order
- Walk-in same-day service
- Certified or non-certified record
- Downtown Waukegan (Map to our office)
- No appointment needed
- Valid identification is required (acceptable ID is listed on form)
- Processing time is normally less than 30 minutes
- Payment by cash, check, money order, or credit card
(Additional service fees apply to credit card payment)
- For faster service, complete the online Death Certificate Request Form (fillable PDF), then print and sign it.
- By mail with check or money order payment
Record is requested and mailed to customer through the U.S. Postal Service’s first-class mail
- Certified or non-certified record
- Two business day processing, once request is received by our office
- Record can be sent to a street address or P.O. box
- Items needed:
- Completed Death Certificate Request Form (fillable PDF), printed, and signed
- Photocopy of valid identification (acceptable ID is listed on form)
- Check or money order payable to the Lake County Clerk
- Self-addressed envelope with sufficient first-class U.S. postage stamp affixed
Lake County Clerk
Vital Records Department
18 N. County Street, Room 101
Waukegan, IL 60085
VitalChek Network, Inc. is an independent company and our selected partner providing vital record ordering services when payment is made by credit card, expedited delivery is required, or order is placed by fax or email. Additional service fees will be applied.
For instructions on how to place an order by fax or email, please call the Clerk’s Vital Record Department at 847-377-2411. Orders will be processed through VitalChek, and all applicable service fees will be applied.
Due to the cost and the inability to re-purpose the state-mandated security paper used to issue vital records, once an order for certificate copies is processed, our office cannot offer any refunds.