Domestic Violence & Orders of Protection

1.What should I do if the defendant violates bond by contacting me?

Call the police and make a report. This is to document what occurred, place, time, who was present, what was said if anything. Be sure to tell the reporting police officer that you are a victim in a pending criminal case and the defendant is out on bond with a no contact condition of that bond. Give the officer the name of the prosecutor handling the case. Next contact the prosecutor or victim-witness coordinator assigned to your case. A violation of bond could result if the defendant’s bond being raised or revoked at the next court appearance.

2.What is a Domestic Order of Protection?

A domestic order of protection is one tool that can help a victim of domestic violence gain independence and stop the abuser from hurting the victim or children. An order of protection and condition of bond are two separate remedies. For assistance obtaining a domestic order of protection please contact: A Safe Room/D100 at 847-360-6471. If there is a pending criminal case please contact the victim-witness coordinator assigned to your case to assure you are aware of the status of the criminal case and notify her of any changes in address or contact information.

3.Who is eligible for a Domestic Order of Protection?

Any family or household members related by blood, or by current or former marriage, share or formerly shared a common dwelling (home), have or allegedly have a child in common, share or allegedly share a blood relationship through a child, have or had a dating or engagement relationship, are high risk adult with disabilities who is abused by a family member or car-giver.

4.What do I do if my Domestic Order of Protection is violated?

You should immediately call the police and file a police report. If there is a pending criminal case you should also notify the victim-witness coordinator and prosecutor assigned to your criminal case.

5.What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic violence happens when one partner/family member attempts to gain power and control over the other using various forms of abuse. These unhealthy relationships can include physical, emotional/psychological, verbal, economic, and/or sexual abuse.

6.Can I drop charges against the defendant/offender?

No. In criminal prosecutions, the case is captioned the People of the State of Illinois vs the Defendant. The prosecutor takes into consideration what the victim would like to see happen in a criminal case, but the prosecutor, who is obligated to protect society, makes the final decision about whether a case proceeds or not.