COMPLETE: River Rd - At Roberts Rd
Limits: About 900 feet in each direction of the intersection of River Rd and Roberts Rd in the Village of Lake Barrington.
Description: The existing signalized intersection will be developed into a roundabout to accommodate future vehicle travel demands. The plan also includes connectivity to the adjacent Forest Preserve by way of a multi-use path that will connect to future planned trails throughout the preserve.
The County evaluated 5 alternatives for the River/Roberts intersection. Many factors were taken into consideration in order to determine the preferred alternative. Those factors included the LOS (Level of Service), the alignment with Oak Hill Drive, the environmental impacts, the poor soil conditions, impact to residential homes and costs.
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Conceptual Master Plan (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Design Alternatives (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Do Nothing (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Initial Condition (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Public Meeting Brochure (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Schedule (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd - Ultimate Condition (PDF)
- River Rd - Roberts Rd Navigation Brochure (PDF)
- Roundabout Brochure (PDF)
- 1-4-2016: The retaining wall on the west side of Twin Ponds Road has been completed. ComEd is scheduled to relocate their poles on the north side of Roberts Road this month; once this is complete, and if weather permits, the grading and sidewalk work will resume in this area.
- 11-18-2015: Crews have completed much of the restoration work. There is still some landscaping to do in the bike trail area at the west end of the project connecting to the Forest Preserve path and certain landscaping items will have to be completed next year because of planting time restrictions.
ComEd is scheduled to relocate some of their poles that are in conflict between Twin Ponds Road and Oak Hill Road on the north side of Roberts Road in the next month. Once poles are relocated, the sidewalk gaps and grading can be completed in this area, weather permitting.
- 10-23-2015: The new River Road at Roberts Road intersection is now open to traffic!
Please drive slowly and be alert approaching and driving through the intersection as some motorists are new to this driving pattern. Please click here to view a video displaying and explaining how best to navigate the new River Road at Roberts Road roundabout. Click here to view the River-Roberts Roundabout Navigation brochure. We thank you all for your patience during this project and hope you come to enjoy the new, more efficient River Road at Roberts Road intersection. There is still more work that needs to be done in relation to the project, but nothing that will require closure of the intersection.
A: The reconstruction and widening of River Road and Roberts Road will alleviate congestion and improve intersection safety. This improvement will also provide a vital link in connectivity to the Fox River Forest Preserve as well as improve pedestrian safety.
Q: When will this project be complete?
A: The roadway improvements were scheduled to be completed in late 2015, pending any weather or constructability issues. The new River Road at Roberts Road intersection was open to traffic in October 2015.