Election Judge Online Application FormThank you for your interest in becoming a Lake County election judge. Join our election judge community and be the proud face of democracy in action. It will be a rewarding experience, and your community will thank you.
Complete the online application form
Election Judge Duties
Election judges are responsible for the proper and lawful conduct of the election and ensure that every person qualified to vote is permitted to vote, and that every person permitted to vote is qualified to vote. Election judges arrive at their assigned Election Day voting site no later than 5:15 AM and remain until all closing tasks are completed after the polls close at 7 PM. There are no partial or half-day work options.
- Be a registered Lake County voter;
- Be of good repute and character and not subject to the registration requirement of the Sex Offender Registration Act;
- Fluently speak, read, and write the English language (English/Spanish bilingual applicants encouraged to apply);
- Be able to sit and/or stand for an extended period of time;
- Not be a candidate for any office in the election or an elected/appointed committeeperson; and
- Must declare affiliation with a major political party.
Student Election JudgesIllinois provides that students may serve as Election judges if they meet the following criteria:
1. Be a junior or senior in good standing enrolled in a public or private secondary school,
2. Provide written permission from a parent or guardian,
3. Have a cumulative grade point average equivalent to at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
4. Declare affiliation to a major political party and,
5.Complete Basic Training
To be certified, judges must successfully complete a Basic Training class and skills assessment. Free training is required every two years in even-numbered years. Registration is required.
Judges can increase their earning power when assigned additional duties by the Lake County Clerk's office after completing specialty training.
Roles and Pay
Roles for Certified
Lake County Election Judge
Works Training Requirements Earns
Uses electronic pollbook to verify voter’s name, address, and signature. Assists voters with name and/or address changes.
Election Day Basic $140
Ballot Issue Judge
Confirms that each voter presents a properly completed application before issuing the correct ballot.
Election Day Basic $140
Ballot Box Judge
Confirms facility access and assigned election judges. Thursday or Friday before Election Day, picks up election materials. Sets up the voting site on election eve with Voter Services Judge. Returns materials on Election Day after the polls close.
Two days before,
on election eve, + Election Day
Basic + Specialty $180
Voter Services Judge
Assists Ballot Box Judge with voting site setup on election eve. Uses electronic pollbook and ADA (American with Disabilities Act) compliant equipment to assist citizens with voter registration and special circumstances.
Election eve + Election Day Basic + Specialty $170
Serving out of township Election Day Basic add + $10.00
Nursing Home JudgeBring ballots to already identified nursing home residents for voting and then return to the Lake County Clerk's office.
Thursday/Friday before Election Day + Election Day Basic + Specialty add + $30.00
Early Voting JudgeProcess voters during the day, evening, and weekend at Early Voting Sites, beginning 15 days before Election Day.
15 days before Election Day (evenings & weekends) +
Basic + Specialty $10/hour
Call the Election Judge Department at 847-377-2408, Monday through Friday between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM.