Where the Money Comes From & Goes

Where the Money Comes From
Major revenue sources (property tax, sales and other taxes, payments from other governments, and charges for services) total $393.4 million, which is 79% of total revenues. The remaining 21% of revenues come from a variety of sources including: fines, permits, forfeitures, rentals, interest income, reimbursements for County services, and proceeds from the sale of assets.
Property T​ax: 3​2%​
Property taxes support a variety of operational purposes and are the County's most stable revenue source. State statute provides maximum levies for ​ some types, and the increase from year to year is governed by PTELL (Property Tax Extension Limitation Law).
Dollar Bill
In the 2016 Budget, the County Board approved keeping the county's property tax levy on existing properties flat.

Sales & Other Taxes: 18%
This includes sales, income taxes, and other various revenues. The local and state economies drive these. The County Board is committed to investing 100% of the ¼% sales tax ($31,000,000 in 2016), into transportation improvements.

Charges for Service: 15%
This revenue includes charges for services provided by various County departments, including Public Works water and sewer services.

Payments From Other Governments: 15%
These revenues mostly consist of reimbursements from other government entities for services provided by the County and grants. A large portion of these revenues come from Illinois Public Aid Reimbursements for services provided at the Health Department at a state or federally determined rate.

Miscellaneous: 20%
This includes a variety of sources including: transfers, rental income, interest income, and proceeds from the sale of assets.

Where the Money Goes
Major expenses include personnel costs, which are 34% of the budget. Other costs include commodities, contractuals, capital expenditures and debt service (which is about 3.7% of the budget). The total projected expense in the FY2016 budget is $496.4 million. Of that total, $81.5 million are double appropriations, which are counted as expenses in more than one fund. So, FY2016 budget actually allocates $414.9 million dollars (excluding those inter-fund transfers), and the money goes to the various services listed below.
Elections and Records
Finance and Administration
Elections & Records: 3%
Key Services:
  • Document Recordings
  • Elections
  • Property Tax Assessment
  • Appeals and Relief
  • Records (Birth, Death, Marriage, Property, Other)
  • Tax Collection and Distribution
Finance & Administration: 14%
Key Services:
  • Budget Development and Oversight
  • Facilities Management
  • Job Recruitment
  • Legislative Program
  • Policy Development and Implementation
  • Purchasing Goods and Services
  • Transparency Initiatives
  • Website Content
Health and Community Services
Judicial and Public Safety
Health & Community Services: 21%
Key Services:
  • Affordable Housing
  • Animal Control
  • Emergency Management
  • Employment Assistance and Job Training
  • Healthcare
  • Immunizations
  • Recycling
  • Restaurant Inspection
  • Veterans Assistance
Judicial & Public Safety: 29%
Key Services:
  • Court Functions (Criminal, Civil
  • Juvenile, Mental Health, Drug, and Family)
  • Death Investigations and Autopsies
  • The Jail
  • Sheriff Highway Patrol
  • Emergency Telephone System Board
Planning, Building and Development
Public Works and Transportation
Planning, Building & Development: 2%
Key Services:
  • Building and development permits
  • Flood control
  • Sustainability
Public Works & Transportation: 28%
Key Services:
  • Infrastructure Improvements
  • Maintenance of County Roads and Traffic Signals
  • Paratransit
  • Water and Sewer
The remaining 3% goes to fund debt service.