National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II
- Public education and outreach on stormwater impacts
- Public involvement and participation
- Illicit discharge detection and elimination
- Construction site stormwater runoff control
- Post construction stormwater management in new development and redevelopment
- Pollution prevention/good housekeeping for municipal operations
Addition information regarding the NPDES Program can be found by visiting IEPA or USEPA websites. An overview of the program's history is provided in the Big Picture Presentation.
Illinois EPA's MS4
ILR40 2021 Public Notice
Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (IEPA) has issued a new version of its NPDES Permit No. ILR40 (MS4 Permit). The Public Notice Beginning Date started on: August 27, 2021 and The Public Notice Beginning Date Ending Date is: September 27, 2021.
- IEPA MS4 Webpage
- ILR40 Public Notice permit 8/27/21 (superseded by 9/02/21 notice)
- ILR40 Public Notice permit 9/02/21
- SMC permit language review (DOC) (SMC reviewed the Public Notice comparing the permit language to the previous permit.)
- General ILR40 Comments to the 2021 ILR40 Public Notice (DOC)
ILR40 Permit 2016-2021
Illinois EPA (IL EPA) has issued a new version of its NPDES Permit No. ILR40 (MS4 Permit). The new permit became effective on March 1, 2016.
IL EPA’s new permit contains a variety of new and modified requirements that will impact local stormwater management programs. SMC has reviewed the new permit, compared it to the previous permit, summarized the changes, and evaluated what the changes appear to mean for Lake County MS4s.
This information is available below:
MS4 Permit Showing All Changes (PDF)
SMC's Summary of Changes (PDF)
As the new permit takes effect, SMC remains committed to providing a variety of stormwater management activities across the county and to assisting Lake County's MS4s in meeting the requirements of IL EPA's NPDES Municipal Stormwater Program. Please contact 847-377-7700 if you should have any questions about IL EPA's new permit or municipal stormwater program.
Illinois EPA's Municipal Stormwater Program in Lake County
About the Qualified Local Program (QLP) Program (PDF)
Municipal Advisory Committee
The countywide approach that has been taken toward the implementation of IL EPA’s NPDES Municipal Stormwater Program in Lake County places SMC in the role of a Qualifying Local Program (QLP). In this role, SMC proactively formed the MAC as a way to coordinate the efforts of Lake County MS4s during implementation of IL EPA’s NPDES Municipal Stormwater Program. SMC continues to facilitate MAC meetings and to provide general support to Lake County MS4s as they implement their stormwater management programs.
Community Awareness Videos for Illicit Discharge Education and Elimination
(1) Illicit Discharge Education and Elimination Video in English,
(2) Video de Eliminación y Educación de Descargas Ilícitas in Spanish,
Municipal Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping
(1) Excal Visual “Municipal Stormwater Pollution Prevention Everyday Best Management Practices” DVD. The DVD can be used to train municipal employees on pollution prevention/good housekeeping practices. To borrow the DVD, please review and complete the Borrowing Agreement.
(2) Excal Visual “IDDE - a grate concern” DVD. The 14¼ minute video focuses on the hazards of illicit discharges and shows and trains government employees and contractors on IDDE and how to spot them. The DVD can be used to train municipal employees on pollution prevention/good housekeeping practices. To borrow the DVD, please review, complete and submit the Borrowing Agreement (PDF).