Role of IDHFS

Federal law says that all states must offer child support services to all families, whether they are receiving welfare or not. In Illinois, the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE) is a part of the Illinois Department of Heathcare and Family Services (IDHFS). DCSE helps parents and caretakers:
  1. Locate the parent who does not live with the child-the non-custodial parent (NCP)
  2. Legally establish the child’s father
  3. Get child support and/or medical coverage
  4. Change the amount a parent has to pay for child support
  5. Order job search and employment services for the NCP
DCSE cannot:
  1. Help you get a divorce or decide who gets property
  2. Petition the court and decide issues involving custody or visitation rights to either parent
  3. Petition the court to provide college expenses
There is no charge for the child support enforcement services.

Contact DCSE:
  • Visiting any DCSE office:
    227 Genesee Street
    Waukegan, IL 60085
  • Calling the Child support customer service call center at 1800 447-4278
  • Going online.