Criminal Complaint Phase

When someone determines or has cause to believe they are the victim of a crime, their first call should be to 9-1-1 if the crime is in progress or there is an emergency situation. If the crime has already occurred the person(s) should contact their local police department. Police officers will then be dispatched to the scene of a crime or will have the victim/complainant come to the local police station to complete a report. In other occasions, a police officer may observe a potential crime in progress and begin an investigation on his or her own.