- Health Department & Community Health Center
- Animal Care & Control
Animal Care & Control
Animal Care and Control (AC&C) is designed to prevent the spread of rabies through vaccinations and education, support a database of registered dogs and cats, and maintain a lost and found network. AC&C staff are responsible for enforcing county ordinances and state laws pertaining to animal-related complaints. Investigations are done regarding nuisance complaints, allegations of animal cruelty or neglect, as well as reports of stray, roaming or injured animals; or dangerous, vicious or biting animals. In efforts to help control the unwanted pet population, the AC&C program provides spay and neuter assistance to low-income residents of Lake County.
Staff at the Animal Care and Control provides the following services:
- Enforce animal control laws, including Lake County Ordinances and Policies, and Illinois Statutes
- Maintain a lost and found pet database
- Provide interim shelter and care for stray and unwanted animals and transport to adoption centers
- Investigate complaints of nuisance and/or threatening animals
- Provide emergency rescue of injured and sick stray animals
- Investigate incidents of animal bites and/or scratches
- Observe impounded biting animals
- Submit specimens to the State of Illinois laboratory for rabies testing
- Present educational programs to schools and community and civic groups
- Provide animal control support services to Sheriff and municipal police departments upon request
- Provide spay/neuter assistance to qualified pet owners.
- Provide rabies tags through Lake County veterinarians.
- Host pet clinics to provide low-cost pet vaccinations.
We provide spay/neuter assistance to qualified pet owners. To find out if you qualify for services, please complete and submit an application. Pre- or post-surgical expenses may be incurred.
If submitting online, right-click on the application link, then click 'Save link as...'. Then, open the application in a PDF reader. You will not be able to click the submit button if the application is opened in your browser.
Low-Cost Pet Vaccinations and Microchips
All dogs and cats in Lake County are required to be vaccinated against rabies and registered. Low-cost pet vaccinations are an affordable way to keep pets up to date with their shots and be in compliance with the rabies vaccination/registration requirements.
Rabies Tags and Registration Fees
Every dog and cat older than 4 months residing in Lake County must be vaccinated against rabies and be registered.
Animal Care & Control Ordinances and Acts
- Lake County, IL Code of Ordinances, Chapter 172
- Animal Care and Control Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Illinois Animal Control Act
- Illinois Humane Care for Animals Act
- Illinois Animal Welfare Act
Click on the links below to learn more.
- Wildlife Illinois
- Injured or orphaned wildlife - Flint Creek & Barnswallow
- Coyotes - Who to Call & When (PDF)