The Lake County Board recently adopted its strategic plan that serves as a road map for Lake County government over the next several years. The Board will continue to focus on the same five strategic goals identified in the previous plan. Lake County obtained input into its plan earlier this year at five community forums and through its website. The public recommended the County focus more on communication and civic engagement, efficiency, partnership and collaboration, and prevention (as it relates to health and criminal justice programs), and those themes have been incorporated into the vision and values, as well as the strategies and actions.
· Enhance Economic Opportunities - Foster balanced growth and a diverse economy to provide living wage jobs, housing, and economic opportunities.
· Promote a Sustainable Environment - Preserve the health of our natural resources and our drinking water through the widespread use of sustainable and environmental management practices, effective storm water management and the enhancement and rehabilitation of lakes, wetlands and other fragile ecological systems.
· Build Healthy and Resilient Communities - Maintain well-being of residents, focusing on the availability of accessible health services for families, the aging population, and other populations in need.
· Provide Public Safety - Enhance the safety of residents through an integrated criminal justice system, including law enforcement and other programs that reduce crime, recidivism, family violence and substance abuse.
· Reduce Congestion and Improve Transportation in Lake County - Promote development of State, County, and municipal transportation systems that provide for efficient, flexible and uncongested movement through an integrated network of road, rail, public transit, and non-motorized (bicycle, pedestrian) modes of travel.
The Strategic Plan also identifies a Mission Statement and Statement of Values:
Lake County government is committed to promoting and sustaining a safe, healthy, vibrant and environmentally responsible county, while maintaining its strong financial position. In partnership with citizens, communities and all levels of government, we pledge to deliver efficient and high quality public services consistent with the community’s values and priorities.
We envision Lake County as a leader in developing a thriving and robust local economy, healthy natural environment, safe and livable communities, healthy residents, and innovative public services that are responsive to the diverse needs of all residents.
Lake County government carries out its mission and conducts its business activities adhering to the following values:
We Value Fiscal Responsibility
Uphold fiscal integrity, make performance-driven decisions based on long-term impacts, manage priorities and maintain sustainable and prudent financial operations. This includes: a balanced budget, strong reserves, and AAA financial rating, with a commitment to transparency, honesty, reliability and accountability for all our actions.
We Value Exceptional Service
Deliver cost-effective, efficient and high quality services, placing a high value on professionalism, responsiveness and courtesy.
We Value Leadership
Provide leadership in communicating, interacting and cooperating with residents, businesses, other governments, and stakeholders leading to innovative regional collaboration and improved quality of life throughout Lake County. Pursue opportunities for increased efficiency and cost savings by collaborating with other government entities.
We Value Environmental Stewardship
Promote and encourage environmental sustainability.