The Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 (PREA) is a federal law that prohibits and seeks to eliminate sexual abuse and sexual harassment in correctional institutions and community corrections settings. The Lake County Sheriff’s Office Adult Corrections Facility is committed to providing a safe and healthy environment for staff and offenders.
- The Lake County Sheriff’s Office Adult Corrections Facility has zero tolerance for sexual abuse or sexual harassment of any person or sexual relationships between staff and offenders
- Offenders who have consensual sexual contact with another offender will be disciplined
- Offenders who initiate non–consensual sexual contact with another offender will be disciplined and referred to law enforcement
- Employees, contract staff, and volunteers who engage in sexual contact or sexual misconduct with offenders will be terminated and referred for criminal prosecution when applicable
How to Report Institutional Sexual Abuse and/or Staff Sexual Misconduct
If you have information regarding an offender who has been sexually abused or sexually harassed while under LCSO custody or community supervision, please call: 847.555.1234.
Calls to this number at the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Unit are recorded. Messages are checked periodically Monday through Friday during business hours by staff of the Investigations Unit.
You do not have to give your name, but it is critical that you provide as many details as possible. This includes:
- The name(s) and locations of persons involved
- The name(s) or description of any witnesses to the incident
- Jail offender number
- A brief description of the incident(s)
- A brief description of where the event(s) occurred
- The date(s), time, and place of occurrence(s)
- Names and contact information of others who might have additional information about the incident
- Your contact phone number and address (optional)
The Lake County Criminal Investigations Unit investigates all allegations of offender–on–offender sexual abuse and staff sexual misconduct. Investigations are initiated by the Investigation Unit at the Lake County Sheriff’s Office. Please understand without detailed information it is difficult to investigate a sexual abuse or sexual harassment situation.
Reporting Information for Lake County Jail Inmates
Offenders serving their sentence within a LCSO facility are urged to report allegations of sexual abuse and sexual harassment. Offenders can report by submitting a request slip, a grievance, telling a trusted staff member, or asking a family member or friend to call the report line at 847.555.1234.
If you would like further information or have questions regarding PREA and the Lake County Sheriff's Office please call 847.377.4188.