Navigate Up
Sign In
Planning, Building & Development  

Temporary Use Permit

What is a temporary Use Permit?

The zoning code of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regulates the type of uses that are allowed to take place on your property. A temporary use is established for a fixed period of time with the intent to discontinue the use at the end of that time. These uses require a Temporary Use Permit.

The following temporary uses are allowed in unincorporated Lake County with a permit.

 Use the links below to access the application form and requirements for each use.


Temporary Food Sales Batch Plant for Road Construction
Garage Sales (if more than 2 per year) Contractor's Model Homes
Real Estate Sales Office Carnival or Circus
Temporary Shelter Christmas Tree Sales
Temporary Structure during Construction Contractor's Office and Construction Equipment Sheds
Temporary Structure for Classrooms Events of Public Interest*^ (i.e. outdoor concerts, fund raisers, fishing derbies and boat races)
Temporary Structure for Farm Housing Events of Public Interest - Supervised Fireworks Display
Animal Show or Animal Exhibits Farm Produce Sales


* Private, non-commercial events on the sponsor’s property such as home owners' associations picnics at the subdivision park, corporate picnics on the corporate campus, private weddings at a private residence or subdivision clubhouse, etc., are not considered events of public interest.

^ The UDO allows seven (7) events per calendar year. Each day is considered a separate event. If you intend to have more than seven (7) events, you will need to apply for a Conditional Use Permit in addition to a Temporary Use Permit.

How do I apply for a Temporary Use Permit?

Please review the application requirements before applying for your permit. Certain uses are not allowed in all zoning districts and each use must meet certain conditions or standards. These requirements are included in the application.

You or your representative are required to come to the Lake County Central Permit Facility, 500 W. Winchester Rd,  Libertyville, Illinois, to apply for your permit. Please complete the application  ahead of time. You must apply at least 30 days in advance of the establishment of the Temporary Use.

Special Consideration for Tents:

  • If you are proposing a tent as a temporary structure you will need to submit a floor plan showing ingress and egress and a non-flammable material certificate. This certificate should be available from the tent manufacturer.

Do I need to apply for permits form other County agencies?

The temporary use permitting process is coordinated by Permit Facility staff. Therefore you will not have to visit other county agencies such as Lake County Division of Transportation (LCDOT) or the Sheriff’s Office. In addition, Permit Facility staff will help you determine if you are required to apply separately for: 

  • a Temporary Food Event Permit from the Health Department when food is to be served
  • a permit from the Liquor Commission when alcoholic beverages are to be served
  • permits from non-county agencies such as a local fire department, IDNR, etc.

How much will my Temporary Use Permit cost?

Please refer to the Land Development Fee Schedule for Temporary Use Permit fees.

If you have questions or need assistance, please call 847.377.2600.

Contact Us
Parking and Directions
Website Disclaimer
Site Map
Lake County, Illinois
18 N. County Street
Waukegan, IL 60085
About Our County
Alert Lake County
Find Help
Contact Information
500 W. Winchester Rd. Unit 101
Libertyville, IL 60048

Hours: Mon - Fri 7:30am to 4:30pm
Phone: 847.377.2600
Fax: 847.984.5854