Flood Hazard Mapping Update
Flood hazard mapping is an important part of the National Flood Insurance Program and is utilized by insurance companies in assessing flood insurance policies and premiums for property owners. In addition the flood hazard mapping is utilized by communities to regulate development. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently completed its re-evaluation of the flood hazards for Lake County and has revised the current Flood Insurance Rate Map and Flood Insurance Study.
The Lake County Stormwater Management Commission (SMC) will be amending the Watershed Development Ordinance to include the new floodplain maps. The Lake County Planning, Building & Development Department and other municipalities throughout Lake County will adopt the new floodplain maps to continue eligibility in the National Flood Insurance Program.
Property owners should be aware of these changes and the flood hazards in their area, as it can impact their insurance rates. The new maps will become effective on September 18, 2013.
The following resources are available to learn more about how this may affect your property:
- To view the current FEMA maps, you may visit http://msc.fema.gov/portal/.
- You may call a Map Specialist toll free at 1.877.FEMA MAP (1.877.336.2627).
- To view information on flood insurance and safety, visit www.floodsmart.gov.
- Contact your insurance provider to learn about flood insurance rates - be sure to ask about contents coverage.
- Flood Insurance Premium Discount: Unincorporated Lake County residents may be eligible to receive up to a 20% discount on their flood insurance premium (discount percentage is based on the risk of flooding), because Lake County is extraordinarily committed to reducing flood damage through multiple initiatives, including a consistent focus on stormwater management in our unincorporated areas, and the Stormwater Management Commission’s advancement of NFIP compliant development standards along with many flood mitigation projects. Please contact your insurance provider regarding any discounts on flood insurance premiums.
- Lake County “Maps Online”, the County's online mapping application, is available at maps.lakecountyil.gov/mapsonline/.