Navigate Up
Sign In
Planning, Building & Development  

Building Permit for Change of Use

A Building Permit is required for changing a use of the property and/or structure. A Site Development Permit may also be required depending on the specific site conditions. Applicability will be determined by staff at the time of building permit application. A special inspection is required (sometimes prior to application) to determine if the proposed use will meet all the applicable codes. Please call the Building and Code Enforcement office at 847.377.2600 to schedule a special inspection.  

Some of the examples of change of use are:

  • Conversion of a garage to a living space
  • Changing a residential use to a commercial use
  • Conversion of retail store to an office space
  • Conversion of office space to a retail use

What Do I Need?

  1. The address of the property or Property Index Number (PIN)
  2. Application Form (To expedite the permit process, complete as much of the form as you can before coming to the Permit Facility.)
  3. Three (3) site plans showing the location, dimensions and setbacks of all structures, proposed and existing.
  4. Three (3) complete sets of building plans.
  5. Health Department approval regarding the location and size of well (If applicable).
  6. Proof of payment for all connections to existing water and sewer facilities (if applicable).
    • Exception:  A letter may be submitted from the utility company stating they have no objection to the issuance of a permit prior to the payment of connection fees.
  7. A drawing showing truss design which meets the following minimum design requirements (if applicable):
    • residential
      • Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot and live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall be at least 40 pounds per square foot
    • commercial
      • Live load of the top cord for all roof trusses shall be at least 30 pounds per square foot
      • Live load of the top cord for all floor trusses shall depend the use of the building and the location of the floor truss in the building (e.g. corridor, office space)
    • Size and material of each truss member shall be noted on the drawing.
    • The drawing shall contain original signed and sealed truss certificate that states: “The design hereon was made under my direct supervision and conforms to the Building Code of Lake County, IL”.  The certificate must be signed and sealed by a registered structural engineer or architect, registered in the State of Illinois. 
  8. Applicable permit fees are required at the time of application. A check, cash or credit/debit card are accepted.

How Much Will My Permit Cost?

Permit fees are based on the volume in cubic feet and square footage of your new construction. In addition, there are flat fees for building utilities such as electric, heat, plumbing fixtures, etc. For more information see the Land Development Fee Schedule.



Contact Us
Parking and Directions
Website Disclaimer
Site Map
Lake County, Illinois
18 N. County Street
Waukegan, IL 60085
About Our County
Alert Lake County
Find Help
500 W. Winchester Rd. Unit 101
Libertyville, IL 60048

Hours: Mon - Fri 7:30am to 4:30pm
Phone: 847.377.2600
Fax: 847.984.5854
Related Links