April-May 2013 Storm and Flood Recovery Resources
LAST UPDATED WEDNESDAY, MAY 15, 2013
Lake County is included in Major Disaster Declaration number DR-4116 issued on Friday, May 10, 2013.
This is for the Illinois Severe Storms, Straight-line Winds, and Flooding, which occurred from April 16 to May 5, 2013.
The disaster declaration authorizes Individual Assistance, which is help for RESIDENTS and BUSINESSES.
The disaster declaration does NOT include Public Assistance, which is help for local governments.
Any resident or business with storm or flood impacts is encouraged to REGISTER WITH FEMA, which is the first step in obtaining Federal Disaster Assistance. Registration can be done in several ways:
- Call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362)
- TTY 1-800-462-7585 for the speech- and hearing-impaired
- 711-Relay or Video Relay Services (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
- Register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- Via web-enabled phone or tablet at m.fema.gov.
If your HOME or BUSINESS was DAMAGED, contact your Insurance Company first.
Check for permit requirements before you make repairs. If you live in a city or village, contact your MUNICIPALITY. Otherwise, contact the Lake County Planning, Building, and Development Department at 847-377-2081. Lake County and some municipalities are reducing or waiving permit fees because of the storms and flooding.
If your water well was flooded, it may be contaminated. The Lake County Health Department can help you make sure the water is safe. Call Environmental Health Services at 847-377-8020. Office hours are from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 pm. Sterile testing bottles are available at some township and municipal offices - check with yours!
If your septic tank was flooded, a reduced rate to dispose of septic sewage may be available. Requirements include:
- The property must be identified in the 2013 flood event property impact maps, or verified as flood-impacted by inspectors with the Lake County Planning Building and Development Department.
- The property owners must retain services from specific septic tank haulers that have agreed to participate in this program. (See list below) Those haulers must use the Lake County Public Works Mill Creek Water Reclamation Facility.
- Services must be rendered between May 14, 2013 and June 1, 2013.
Septic tank haulers that have agreed to participate in this program include:
- Sunrise Septic: 262-857-9981
- Weidner’s Septic: 847-438-1763
- Lakeland Septic Service: 847-395-1987
- A&J Sewer: 847-537-9090
For more information on septic disposal, contact Lake County Public Works at 847-377-7500.