Aaron Lawlor, District 18
Lake County Board Chairman
Address: 18 N. County St., 10th Floor, Waukegan, IL 60085
Office Phone: 847.377.2300
Dear Lake County Neighbors,
It is an honor to serve as your Lake County Board Chairman and District 18 Board Member. We are working hard to ensure Lake County continues to be a great place to live, work, and do business by investing in roads and infrastructure, preserving open space, and promoting economic development. The County Board voted to freeze the county's portion of the property tax levy for 2016. We took the same action back in 2013. As a result, over the next 10 years, $75.7 million will not be taxed by the county and will stay in property owners' wallets.
I'm proud of the county board's continued track record of practicing fiscal responsibility. We have a balanced budget, strong reserves, and AAA financial rating – the highest credit rating possible. Our budget is $7 million less than it was last year. Also, we have worked hard to find ways to partner with other units of government and be even more efficient in our own operation. As a result, county government has 13% fewer employees than we did ten years ago.
We are leading efforts to save taxpayer money by sharing services and jointly purchasing goods with other units of government. This effort has resulted in substantial savings on everything from road salt purchases to elevator inspections. Learn more.
Our efforts to expand, improve, and maintain our transportation network are critical to maintaining a high quality of life for Lake County families and workers. To accomplish this, we are investing a half billion dollars over the next six years to improve our county's transportation system and are working with federal, state, county and local partners to advance key regional transportation projects.
I am committed to bringing people together to ensure Lake County continues to be a great place to live and work. A big part of making that happen is investing in our people. I am constantly hearing from employers who stress the importance of recruiting and retaining a talented workforce. In response to this, we are launching "The Workforce Ecosystem" with Lake County Partners to better match employers' needs with training opportunities and curriculum that is offered in our schools.
It's an honor serving as your County Board Chairman and District 18 Board Member. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.
Lake County Board Chairman
Aaron is the Chairman of the County Board. He represents Vernon Hills and Indian Creek, as well as portions of Hawthorn Woods, Long Grove, Mundelein, and unincorporated Lake County. He has been on the board since 2009 and has served as chairman since 2012. His main priorities are fiscal responsibility, transparency, government openness and accessibility, and transportation, including advancing the Route 53 Extension Project.
- Lake County Board, Chairman (2012-present) and Member (2009-present)
- Lake County Forest Preserve District (2009-present)
- Cook Memorial Public Library District, President (2005-2009) and Trustee (2003-2009)
Professional and Community Involvement
- Lake County Partners, Board of Governors and Operations Committee
- Lake County Transportation Alliance, Board & Executive Committee
- Chair, Lake County Navy League Annual Awards Dinner (2015)
- Honorary Chair, Lake County Center for Independent Living Gala, (2014)
- Vice-Chair, Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning (CMAP) MPO Policy Committee (2013-present)
- Route 53 Blue Ribbon Advisory Council (BRAC), Co-Chair (2012-present)
- Route 53 Land Use Planning Committee, Co-Chair (2013-present)
- Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO), Board of Directors (2010-2012)
- Community Development Commission (2011-2012), Ex-Officio (2012-present)
- Friends of Ryerson Woods, Board Liaison (2010-present)
- Hawthorn District 73 Future Search Strategic Planning Committee (2010)
- North Suburban Library System Board of Directors (2008-2009)
- Office of Congressman Mark Kirk, Deputy District Director
- Kirk for Congress, Political Director
- Kirk for Senate, Coalitions Director
- Program Manager, Government & Community Affairs, Office of Illinois Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka
Lake County Committees
- Health and Community Services, Chair (2010-2012)
- Finance and Administration (2010-2012)
- Law and Judicial (2009-2010)
- Planning, Building and Zoning, Vice-Chair (2009-2010)
Forest Preserve District Committees
- Masters in Business Administration, Lake Forest Graduate School of Management
- Bachelor's degree, Lake Forest College
- Libertyville High School
County Board Office
County Board and Liquor Commission
18 N. County St., 10th Floor
Waukegan, IL 60085-4351