The Clerk of the Circuit Court maintains a record of all documents filed for all cases. Most of these documents are public record.
Requesting Document Copies
Requests for copies can be made in person or through the mail.
If you plan to make a request in person, please click on the file storage list below to verify that the file you need a copy from is going to be readily available.
Some of our files are stored off site and will need to be retrieved.
File Storage List
Please check our public access records for the case status which will direct you to the appropriate department to obtain copies or for questions you may have on any file.
Microfilm Department: 847.377.3257
If you need any document from our files certified, please contact out Certified Department at 847.377.3236.
To obtain a Certified copy of a document:
- There is a $6.00 fee to certify a document
- For each additional Certified copy of the same document, the fee is $15.00
Please note: The cost of the copies is NOT included in the cost to certify a document and must be added in to determine the total cost.
To determine the total cost of the document you are requesting:
- For plain, uncertified copies, please call the Files Department at 847.377.3211
- For Certified copies, please call 847.377.3236
Please be aware that depending on the year and type of file, that your file may have to be
ordered from storage before we can give you the final cost.
Information to include when making a request:
- Case number and/or party name involved;
- Name of document you are requesting;
- If you need the document certified;
- Self-addressed stamped envelope (when requesting through the mail);
- Payment for the copies (cash, money orders and credit cards are accepted in person) (Money order and certified checks accepted through the mail);
- PERSONAL CHECKS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Where to send your request:
ATTN: Certified Copies
Clerk of the Circuit Court Keith S. Brin
18 North County Street
Waukegan IL 60085